The Gunter Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The First Gate

+8
Daito
TheGreatOg
Admin
ChiefAaron
Anorak
Aech
Art3mis
Parzival
12 posters

Go down

The First Gate Empty The First Gate

Post  Parzival Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:15 pm

Guess what? I found the First Gate! I'll give you one hint: the URL itself isn't technically in the book. But based on the first passage of the book that contains mention of a website, you should be able to determine the URL of the aforementioned Gate. Good luck.
Parzival
Parzival

Back to top Go down

The First Gate Empty Re: The First Gate

Post  Art3mis Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:06 pm

Sweet!

Art3mis

Back to top Go down

The First Gate Empty The First Game

Post  Parzival Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:00 am

You should also be aware that although the first game IS The Stacks, it isn't what you're expecting.
Parzival
Parzival

Back to top Go down

Post  Aech Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:21 am

I also have just found the first gate, however do to the security settings on my web browser here at work I cannot run the game, so I'll have to wait until I get home to make my attempts on my personal computer.

Aech

Back to top Go down

Post  Parzival Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:47 pm

Aech - can you download things on your work computer? You could try downloading the ROM on that page and an Atari emulator.
Parzival
Parzival

Back to top Go down

The First Gate Empty I am psyched

Post  Anorak Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:08 pm

My first thought when I began looking for the egg was the blatant clue in the story itself... I thought, No Way, it will never be that simple... but it was! If only I had been better at 2600 games when I was a kid... the first game is killing me! Congrats "Z" and "H" for finding the first gate. Good luck to you fellow Gunters!
Anorak
Anorak

Back to top Go down

The First Gate Empty eBook vs. Hardcover

Post  ChiefAaron Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:27 pm

I've been comparing the eBook to a Hardcover copy all day (instead of working... haha) and I simply cannot find any differences in the text. If the eBook version doesn't contain the clue to finding the First Gate, there should be something missing, but so far I haven't been able to find it. For those that have found the First Gate, have you checked the eBook to see the clue was missing there?

I've been feverishly following all of your advice and small hints but it isn't getting me anywhere yet. Frustrating!

ChiefAaron

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:48 pm

Parzival wrote:Guess what? I found the First Gate! I'll give you one hint: the URL itself isn't technically in the book. But based on the first passage of the book that contains mention of a website, you should be able to determine the URL of the aforementioned Gate. Good luck.

Congratulations, Parzival!

Admin
Admin

https://thegunterforum.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Parzival Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:23 pm

ChiefAaron wrote:I've been comparing the eBook to a Hardcover copy all day (instead of working... haha) and I simply cannot find any differences in the text. If the eBook version doesn't contain the clue to finding the First Gate, there should be something missing, but so far I haven't been able to find it. For those that have found the First Gate, have you checked the eBook to see the clue was missing there?

I've been feverishly following all of your advice and small hints but it isn't getting me anywhere yet. Frustrating!

I actually sort of found it without finding the egg itself. I'm not really sure what the egg is, but I don't think Cline would have mislead us. Everyone that's found it should know what I'm talking about.
Parzival
Parzival

Back to top Go down

Post  Anorak Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:56 pm

ChiefAaron wrote:I've been comparing the eBook to a Hardcover copy all day (instead of working... haha) and I simply cannot find any differences in the text. If the eBook version doesn't contain the clue to finding the First Gate, there should be something missing, but so far I haven't been able to find it. For those that have found the First Gate, have you checked the eBook to see the clue was missing there?

I don't know if the egg is in the eBook version. I have the Hardcover, and Cline says it's in that and the Paperback version. So, if you have a Hardcover version, use that. Not sure if the egg is "visible" in eBook form. I can give you a hint as to what I mean if you want. (Via private message of course). Let me know.

Anorak
Anorak

Back to top Go down

The First Gate Empty This is Killing Me

Post  TheGreatOg Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:43 pm

I've listened to the entire audio book 2.5 times before this contest even began, got the paperback day of release, and have still found nada. Well...i've found things, but i can't connect the dots. At all. I feel like a moron because i know the story backwards and forwards!! Any small hints appreciated.

TheGreatOg

Back to top Go down

Post  Aech Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:32 am

When I found the first gate, it was based on a lucky guess. I have yet to discover the URL hidden in my recently acquired copy of the paperback.

Aech

Back to top Go down

Post  Anorak Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:55 pm

Aech wrote:When I found the first gate, it was based on a lucky guess. I have yet to discover the URL hidden in my recently acquired copy of the paperback.

If you don't over think it, the answer is right there in the story. *hint, hint* Very Happy
Anorak
Anorak

Back to top Go down

Post  Daito Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:17 pm

Hello everyone. I just stumbled upon this contest today, but being a huge fan of the book I had to jump in on it. After finding the First Gate (through sheer guesswork) I made my way through The Stacks and found the hidden code. Very excited to see the next phase on July 1!

Daito

Back to top Go down

Post  Raven575 Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:57 pm

I figured out the first gate clue using the eBook. Not too, difficult actually...took me about 15 minutes to find the right URL.
Raven575
Raven575

http://www.ravcodesign.com

Back to top Go down

The First Gate Empty It's in the eBook too

Post  Nolan Sorento/IOI-655321 Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:26 pm

I can confirm that the hint is also in the eBook. Not sure why Ernest stated otherwise but it is right there for the reading. Smile

Sorento

Nolan Sorento/IOI-655321
Nolan Sorento/IOI-655321

Back to top Go down

Post  Aech Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:58 am

I have finally found the URL for the first gate. Due to the nature in which it is hidden in the physical copies of the book, I find it very doubtful that it is hidden in the electronic copies.

Aech

Back to top Go down

The First Gate Empty Easter Egg Location

Post  Nolan Sorento/IOI-655321 Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:44 pm

Aech wrote:I have finally found the URL for the first gate. Due to the nature in which it is hidden in the physical copies of the book, I find it very doubtful that it is hidden in the electronic copies.

So Aech and Ernest Cline (I'm sorry for ever doubting him) are correct, in that the Easter Egg really is only present in the physical books. You can, however, figure it out with the Ebook, or even the audio books, if you start looking for something that would make for a nice URL. I did the latter and thought that was the Easter Egg. Having actually now found the Easter Egg, I'm glad that I finally got to see it. Finding the Easter Egg is way cooler than the method I used to find the first gate!

Sorento
Nolan Sorento/IOI-655321
Nolan Sorento/IOI-655321

Back to top Go down

Post  Raven575 Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:27 pm

As I previously stated, I only have the ebook version, and I've already passed the first gate...but I'm still intrigued to see the Easter egg for myself. Funny thing...I've been looking online for scanned copies of the first chapter and remembered that Amazon usually has a brief introduction online to each book it sells.

Guess which page is missing from that scanned intro?
Raven575
Raven575

http://www.ravcodesign.com

Back to top Go down

The First Gate Empty Have the ebook on my android and i found it!

Post  bartonjc39 Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:47 pm

Yep! all it took was some hard thinking about the book and thinking like a gunter would but yep found the gate

bartonjc39

Back to top Go down

The First Gate Empty Jeez. I Must Suck At This

Post  Ogden Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:54 pm

I may be a bit late but I'm going to find this anyway. I noticed a series of splotches and marks above letters and under pages, maybe letters specifically. It may not mean much but the first gate is pretty hard to find in my opinion. Chapter 0 or 1?

Ogden

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSSuGFSFJwDpF7PU9G5t5ew

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down